UPDATE! Tank Corps - Belgium100 2017
1. The TMYS Garden of Remembrance accompanied by the flags of the UK, Belgium & the Tank Corps with included 'Book of Remembrance' will be set up in the Langemark-Poelkapelle Town Hall entrance foyer. This commemoration will run from June 7th 2017 until November 11th 2017.
2. The Tank Corps flag will be raised above the TMYS throughout this same period likewise.
3. The 2017 annual TMYS ceremony will take place at 5pm on Saturday June 10th 2017 at the memorial in the presence of the Gentleman Usher of the Black Rod & TMYS Honorary President Lt General David Leakey CMG CBE. He will be accompanied by TMYS Vice President Lt (Retd) Ian Robertson formerly of the Irish Guards & Great Nephew of Captain Robertson VC. A reception will then be held in the nearby "Postduif" cafe. All attending the ceremony are invited.
4. This will be followed with a dedicated inclusion within the Menin Gate 8pm last post ceremony. *See LPA calendar here; www.lastpost.be
The evening will conclude with the "Toast of Remembrance" at cost in a nearby suitable venue. To be confirmed on the day.
5. A dedicated Tank Corps service of remembrance will take place in St George's Memorial Church, Ypres on Sunday morning, June 11th 2017 @ 09.30hrs also in the presence of General David & Ian Robertson with the VC awarded to Captain Clement Robertson VC, this being the first of four to be awarded to the Tank Corps during WW1. On conclusion of the service coffee and biscuits will be available in the adjoining Eton Memorial hall.
6. An online commemoration will be set up on the TMYS web site to run from June 7th 2017 until November 11th 2018 which will include the names of all 243 WW1 Tank Corps soldiers & the single WW2 Royal Tank Regiment soldier commemorated by the TMYS.
FURTHER UPDATES 18/1/2017.
The town's Last Post Association web site & TMYS face book page has been amended.
Please see links below to reveal Friends of the TMYS inclusions into the Menin Gate Memorial 8pm last post ceremonies & visiting Royal Tank Regiment Association Branches.
A massive THANK YOU from the Chairman.
To all friends who have paid their initial & annual subscription fees and or offered donations to be used where requested;
The TMYS receives no official finance whatsoever and can only function correctly due to wonderful assistance offered so kindly by the memorial's own Friends organisation.
Every single penny or euro-cent received is used for the purchase of poppy wreaths and replacement memorial flags when required.*See below images.
They also assist with the purchase of the TMYS Standard Bearer's uniform & Standard accoutrements.
The wreaths are normally placed by TMYS representatives in your absence whenever required however, it is customary for the friends themselves to have the honour of placing the official annual ceremony TMYS wreath if in attendance.
Without your amazing and dedicated act of financial assistance, the above would simply not be possible to achieve. Thank you. Thank you all!
Friends of the TMYS Standard Bearer Wayne Evans with loyal friends Frank Mahieu & Liz Millward & piper Pierre Dervaux. Also included are Chris Lock & Milena Kolarikova, founders of the TMYS and Chairman & Assistant Chairman of the Friends of the TMYS.
@Menin Gate Memorial to the Missing famous last post ceremony.
THE TMYS & it's Memorial Committee is supported wherever possible by:
Regimental Headquarters Royal Tank Regiment
St George's Memorial Church, Ypres (courtesy of Chaplain Revd Brian Llewellyn)
The Friends of the Tank Memorial Ypres Salient & the Royal Tank Regiment Association Nottingham Branch
Please note the Friend's Board of Administrators with all posts being honorary;
Lt Gen (Retd) David Leakey CMG CBE
Lt (Retd) Ian Robertson - formerly Irish Guards. Great Nephew of Captain Clement Robertson VC. (1st VC to be awarded to the Tank Corps)
Chris Lock - formerly Royal Tank Regiment
Assistant Chairman & Friends Membership Secretary:
Milena Kolarikova-Lock BA
Lt Col (Hon) Rene Declercq - formerly Belgian Army
Andre Cloet - formerly Belgian Army
John Allen: Great nephew of Gnr Cyril Allen DCM
Marie Pierre Williams
TMYS Standard Bearer:
Wayne Evans - formerly 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards & Cheshire Yeomanry Squadron, The Queens Own Yeomanry.
All friends receive dedicated invitations to the TMYS annual ceremony, annual Friends newsletter, Friends of the TMYS bronze membership pin badge.
For information concerning membership of the Friends of the TMYS & above ties & pins, please contact: Honorary Assistant Chairman & Membership Secretary:
A tribute to the former Friends of the TMYS Vice President;
the late Lt (Retd) Eric Smallwood RTR.
Lt Eric Smallwood was a Troop Leader who commanded a troop of Comet tanks from the 1st Royal Tank Regiment during the allied assault through Netherlands and into Germany during WW2.
He commanded the first British tank to enter Hamburg and was later present at the capitulation meetings also attended by Red Army Commander Georgi Zukov.
Every year since WW2 & right up to his recent death, Lt Eric visited the town of Echt in the Netherlands to apologise to the people for blowing up their church whilst successfully destroying a German Tiger tank but sadly losing comrades in the process.
Today representatives of the Friends continue to carry on these duties where Lt Eric left off to ensure his memory and that of his fallen comrades are not forgotten.
Lt Eric Smallwood during his WW2 Royal Armoured Corps training phase & alongside his Comet tank once serving with the 1st Royal Tank Regiment.
Lt Eric wearing his tank suit (Pixie suit) & as Vice President of the Friends of the TMYS.
TMYS Vice President Lt (Retd) Eric Smallwood & TMYS founder and Chairman of the Friends of the TMYS Chris Lock represent the TMYS at the burial service of a Known Unto God New Zealand soldier, recently recovered from the battlefields.
British armour from B Battalion Tank Corps supported the assault troops from II ANAZAC and hence a representation was required.